- Top 7 Best Orthopedic Seat Cushions to Achieve Pain Relief - July 18, 2019
- The Best Hospital Beds: Buying Guide & Top 7 Choices - June 11, 2019
Whether we’re at the office or at home or even in the car, we tend to sit down for hours which, in time, it can affect your spine. At first, you start noticing certain feelings of discomfort but if you don’t do something to fix this situation, you will soon feel back pain or develop serious health problems.
Fortunately, there are ways to alleviate back pain and even prevent other conditions. One of those solutions is represented by orthopedic seat cushions. You can take them with you, wherever you go, and there are plenty of shapes, models, fabrics, and sizes to choose from.
*The following products were listed in no particular order. I have selected and included them in this list, based on their popularity, effectiveness, and user ratings.
The Best Orthopedic Seat Cushion to Consider – Top 7 Choices
1. Memory Foam Orthopedic Seat Cushion by SoftaCare
If you’re looking for a great orthopedic seat cushion to relieve back pain, the SoftaCare pad might be the perfect match for your needs. This ergonomic seat cushion is made of memory foam and it can help people who have back conditions like sciatica. It offers amazing tailbone support and you can use it wherever you want. The memory foam is durable and, according to the manufacturing company, it will not go flat for a long time.
- The overlay has a zipper so you can take it out and clean the pad while also wash the cover;
- You will benefit from lifetime warranty if you purchase this cushion which is pretty unusual and even unique, I may add;
- No matter how you decide to use this seat cushion, you will never slip and it will never slide;
- The product and its fabric are of very good quality;
- The cushion provides plenty of support for your back.
- If you place the seat cushion on the floor, it might be difficult to stand up if you’re on a very low position;
- It costs more than many other similar products.
2. Memory Foam Gel Orthopedic Seat Cushion by ComfiLife
This memory foam seat cushion marketed by ComfiLife might be an excellent choice for those who deal with sciatica and nerve pain. You can take this product with you at concerts or sports competitions where there are usually very hard seats. This pad will improve your overall posture while forcing you to stand straight. The ComfiLife cushion can also be a good gift for pregnant women. It supports your tailbone and eliminates pressure.
- It’s easy to clean and the bottom part is made of non-slip rubber;
- The side parts of the pad can be removed so that you won’t fall off of it;
- The cushion will never slide due to its anti-skid coating;
- It’s easy to transport this item due to its handle;
- It will support both your back and your legs.
- The pad is available in one single color option: a gray one;
- Larger individuals might end up leaning on the cushion’s handle which can cause discomfort.
3. Orthopedic Seat Cushion for Back Pain Relief by GetComfort Goods
The seat cushion made by GetComfort Goods comes with an inside part made of memory foam and it works very well if you want to prevent or lower back pain, hemorrhoids, and sciatica. This snug pad is manufactured in the United States and it is easy to clean. Its black velour cover is machine-washable and comes with non-slip properties. The design is extremely versatile which means you can place it on your office chair, at home, or in your car. The GetComfort Goods cushion is also an amazing choice if you travel a lot.
- This product is sturdy and durable which means you will be able to use it a long time;
- It is great during long road trips;
- It makes you stand straight while keeping your spinal cord in a correct and healthy position;
- The pad features a cut-out right around your coccyx so that you won’t put any pressure on that area while sitting on it;
- The memory foam will maintain its initial shape and will never go flat.
- The only color you will able to buy is black;
- If you weigh more than 200 pounds, this cushion might eventually get flat after several uses;
- One user said that the seat cushion isn’t very comfortable.
4. Memory Foam Seat Cushion for Perfect Posture by Xtreme Comforts
This orthopedic seat cushion made by Xtreme Comforts has recently received a makeover. It now has a new look and the latest version is an improved and upgraded one, with good-quality memory foam. Compared to its previous models, this new version provides a boosted comfort and it is useful for those of you who suffer from lower back issues, sciatica, and tailbone problems. The Xtreme Comforts cushion was even endorsed by a number of chiropractors and medical experts. According to them, it also works for surgery recovery, spinal disc conditions, and fibromyalgia.
- This is a lightweight orthopedic seat cushion. It only weighs one pound. So, it will be very easy for you to carry or transport it;
- The latest version of this product was recreated in such a way that now it works better and feels more comfortable. The material is a breathable mesh that allows airflow;
- The cushion’s cover is machine-washable so the maintenance and cleaning processes will be easy;
- It is both soothing and comfortable.
- It is recommended only for people who don’t weigh more than around 225 pounds;
- It may be a tad too thick if you want to use it as a cushion for your office chair because of the product’s lack of compression when you sit on it.
5. TravelMate Coccyx Seat Cushion
The TravelMate seat cushion is a universal product of its type that can be easily used around the house, at work, and even when you’re traveling. It comes with a large array of uses and it is said to relieve both sciatica and back pain. The design of the cushion is an ergonomic one, based on a special type of gel that takes your coccyx’s shape while also improving the overall support that it offers. Once you sit on it, the pad will improve your posture and relieves tension and pressure in your back.
- The cover of this seat cushion is removable and you can easily clean it in the washing machine, so, the maintenance of this product is highly convenient;
- It is an affordable seat cushion;
- Not only will this pad prevent back injuries but it can also help you heal some existing ones;
- Due to its silicone-coated design, this cushion is a non-slip product.
- Unlike many other similar items, TravelMate doesn’t have a memory foam interior. The lack of this material might be an issue when it comes to achieving optimal support;
- The way it looks isn’t very appealing. You can only purchase it in gray color.
6. Memory Foam Seat Cushion for Back Pain Relief by Comfy Cush
The Comfy Cush orthopedic pad was created in a lab, by researchers, in order to serve multiple purposes and universal use. To design this cushion, the manufacturer has used 5 different molds. The product’s main role is to decrease back pain, especially in the lower lumbar area. It is completely crafted out of memory foam which is three inches thick. In other words, when you sit on it, the cushion won’t get flat.
- You can place it on a car seat or on your office chair. It even works great for people who need to use a wheelchair;
- It is said that this cushion can help pregnant women relieve or avoid back pain during pregnancy;
- The product’s memory foam is very dense and it will distribute your body weight evenly so that you maintain a proper posture while also feeling comfortable.
- This seat cushion can be a tad heavy to carry around as well as bulky because of its larger size. These characteristics are given by the high density of the memory foam;
- Individuals who weigh more than 250 pounds should avoid using this cushion.
7. Memory Foam Chair Pad by Milliard
Osteopathic experts and pain professionals came together and combined their knowledge to create the Milliard chair cushion. Both those categories of experts have years of experience in healing patients with chronic pain. The newest design has tried to remove all the flaws or weak points that previous models had. If you deal with posture issues, soreness, pain, numbness, and fatigue, this seat cushion might help you feel better. The memory foam contained by the product releases the tension that leads to spinal injury.
- There is a handle attached to the cushion so that you can carry and lift it easily;
- On the bottom part of the pad, you will find a special liner that keeps the cushion from sliding;
- The product is machine-washable;
- It is sturdy yet flexible and takes the shape of your body’
- The cushion is made from a breathable mesh that allows airflow.
- Larger people might experience pain when sitting on this cushion because of its handle feature;
- A few customers complained about the fact that the cushion is way too soft and it flattens after a while.
Things to Consider When Purchasing an Orthopedic Seat Cushion
a. Ergonomic Support
One of the most important things you should take into account when buying a seat cushion is the product’s overall design, especially its ergonomic details. The best combination is a firm and sturdy cushion that can easily offer you support but also a flexible one which won’t put any kind of pressure on your tailbone.
Those of you who have specific back issues like low back pain and sciatica must purchase specially-created seat cushions. The best type is the one that comes with a cutout where your tailbone or your coccyx is located. Another essential aspect is the cushion’s contour which should be mold in such a way that fits your buttocks and hips shape.
Fabric is not as important as other features but, in some cases, for some people, it might be a deal-breaker. Some of you might prefer leather while others enjoy the smooth feeling of softer materials. However, most users choose the most convenient alternative which is polyester. Either way, the fabric of your orthopedic seat cushion should be durable and last as long as possible, even a lifetime.
c. Ease of Maintenance
Maintenance and cleaning are directly linked to two cushion characteristics: the fill and the fabric. It’s wise to opt for a product that has a removable and machine-washable cover. Also, the item that’s under the cover should be easily wiped clean with a damp cloth. Otherwise, if you pick a product that is hard to clean, you will spend a lot of time doing a meticulous maintenance job.
Think about where you will use the cushion the most. Maybe it’s your office chair, your car seat, or both. Nevertheless, consider the dimensions of the seat you want to place the cushion onto and then pick an item with an appropriate size. Don’t be fooled by the labels that say the cushion’s size is universal because it might not always fit all types of chairs. The correct size will spare you the trouble of sitting on an uncomfortable surface all day long.
Most seat cushions contain foam padding. Still, some manufacturers will incorporate additional fabrics into the foam. For instance, you could find fiberfill which replaces the solid foam. Other cushions may come with polyester granules which mimic the sensation of bean bags. Inform yourself about the available types of fill and make sure you’re aware of their benefits as well as their disadvantages before you make a purchase.
Why Should You Use an Orthopedic Seat Cushion? Main Benefits
It’s true that these products are recommended to people who have back pain or other types of health issues. However, a seat pad is useful even if you’re completely healthy as a way to prevent future problems. The main benefit of using a seat cushion is a comfort. It takes off the pressure of sitting on your buttocks and, if you use it during long car rides, you will experience a much more relaxing drive.
Besides comfort, which is an obvious benefit, an orthopedic pad will also help you maintain a correct posture. Body posture is crucial for your spinal health. All orthopedic cushions promote, through their special design, a better body position which can further lead to improved blood circulation.
Finally, another benefit, although a secondary one, is warmth. Some cushions have integrated heating features that come in handy during wintertime. So, you will sit down and keep yourself comfy and warm.
The Best Orthopedic Seat Cushions – Final Thoughts
All the products listed above are good but you should choose the one that meets your needs and preferences. Most of them have a wide variety of useful functions and they allow your body to sit comfortably, without backpressure. Using an orthopedic seat cushion is extremely important when you suffer from back pain or when you simply want to spend your office or driving hours without discomfort.
You should know that cushions with memory foam filling are more beneficial but also heavier and more expensive. Still, they last longer and take the shape of your lower body. I know what I am talking about because I, myself, deal with lumbar back issues and me, sometimes, use this type of sitting pad. Let me tell you that it definitely makes a huge difference. You should try one because it won’t disappoint you.